Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Chasing Vermeer

Chasing Vermeer
by Blue Balliett


Recommended to me by a friend this kids book was a delight! It reminded me of the kind of book I would have loved reading as a child. Not that I didn't enjoy it now because I very much did. It is charming, intelligent, mysterious, puzzling and keeps your mind alert at all times.

I love thinking and I like books that challenge you. I like puzzles and trying to figure out things. This book had all that and a good story as well. I learned about an artist, Vermeer. I learned about pentominos. I learned about an author, Charles Fort. How all these items are tied together will only be revealed by reading the book and I encourage you to do just that. When a painting on it's way to the Art Institute goes missing a series of seemingly random events points to some strange conclusions about where it may be. Can two kids figure out the puzzle before it's too late?

I can't wait to read the next book in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment