Saturday, April 16, 2011

That Hideous Strength

That Hideous Strength (Space Trilogy Book 3)
by C. S. Lewis
I managed to finish this book in a week, which seemed a monumental task to me considering the weight of the subject matter. Now I had read the book in college but oddly enough I didn't remember very much of it. 

Of the 3 books in the trilogy this was my least favorite which is really a bummer since it's the one I've now read twice as well. Oh well. There was a funny sentence in the book that I will mention later that gave me pause to think. I know I have mentioned before how wordy I think that Lewis can be. This book was no exception. However there was much more science garble in this read which led to me read and re-read sometimes up to 3 times certain paragraphs and still not really grasp what was being said. I think I took away the generally idea and that was ok with me. 

This story actually takes place on Earth. Ransom finds himself with a cast of characters on his team "fighting" the evil that has presented itself in the name of science and the progression of humanity, namely one very evil group that has pretty much taken over a small college town and is on the verge of something much larger. British history comes into play as both sides are anticipating the awakening of Merlin (the wizard of King Arthur's Day). This is where it gets a little cheesy and just goofy to me. By the end of the story I feel let down. Good wins, as always but the story just seems to get a little strange and ends abruptly almost like he ran out of time to write the end. I know that's not the case but I can't say I was a huge fan.

One thing I will take away from this book though is a thought for all of us women to consider. I'm sure our husbands will be very glad if we do. Two women are conversing about their marriages and one, Ivy, a younger woman and newly married is recounting a conversation she had a while back with an older woman married a long time, Mother Dimble.

"I remember one day - it was before you came - Mother Dimble was saying something to the Doctor; and there he was sitting reading something, you know the way he does, with his fingers under some of the pages and a pencil in his hand - not the way you or I'd read - and he just said, 'Yes dear,' and we both of us knew he hadn't been listening. And I said, 'There you are, Mother Dimble,' said I, 'that's how they treat us once they're married. They dont' even listen to what we say,' I said. And do you know what she said? 'Ivy Maggs,' said she, 'did it ever come into your mind to ask whether anyone could listen to all we say?' Those were her very words. 

A good question to ask I'd say!

No comments:

Post a Comment