Saturday, April 16, 2011

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Rodrick Rules

Diary of a Wimpy Kid Rodrick Rules
by Jeff Kinney

This is the last review I will do for this series unless something changes. I might finish it out only because I am curious to see if the author makes any positive changes as the story goes on and the boys grow. Plus they read super quick so it might take me all of a few days to finish it. 


I have been extremely disappointed in this series so far. I really do like the concept but it's a shame that what it is teaching middle schoolers is that parents are completely clueless and life is always unfair. It teaches that doing the right thing is over-rated and even when you treat your friends really bad they will still be your friends. 


These characters have no sense of morals though they it does say they go to church. Obviously it's not a faith that makes a difference to them or their parents. Though the mom does take some disciplinary measures in this book the dad is a complete pushover. 


I just don't like the characters. They are mean and always looking out for themselves. I really just don't see anything worthwhile in these books that would make them good reading for young people. If your child is reading them I would suggest you do as well and talk to them about what's going on in the story. 


My verdict is sadly disappointed in a great concept gone wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment