Saturday, August 28, 2010

Jurassic Park


Jurassic Park
by Michael Crichton
Everyone has heard of Jurassic Park and knows the basic plot due to the movie that came out a while back. I’ve never seen the movie because something about big mean dinosaurs and humans just seemed like a recipe for disastrous events that I did not care to witness. However, reading the book is something I could handle and so intrigued by my basic knowledge of the movie I ventured into the land of the dinosaurs.
I was actually intellectually stimulated by the ideas put forth from the get go. Granted the violence in the beginning was also a foretaste of what was to come. But violence aside, there were some really intriguing ideas and great philosophical dilemmas laid out.
The most obvious thought and question that ran through my mind was, “Is this even possible?” When this was written it might have seemed less plausible but in the 20 years since then science has made huge advances in the genetic field. And when you learn how cut-throat the industry is and how much money is involved and how corrupt power and money make people, well, it really makes you stop and think. What potentially dangerous projects are going on all over the world that we know nothing about? 
One character in the book, Malcolm, makes many profound statements in my eyes. In speaking about scientists to another character he says, “So they are focused on whether they can do something. They never stop to ask if they should do something.” Isn’t that the great debate that we have been facing for quite some time in the areas of science and technology? Technology is not bad in and of itself and it can be used for the good of many but it can also be used to the detriment of many. Scientific discoveries are not bad in and of themselves but if we stop questioning the ethics and really thinking about the long term effects of our “breakthroughs” then we are setting ourselves up for potentially devastating situations that cannot be easily, if ever, undone. 
In our unquenchable thirst for immortality and perfection how much are we willing to give up? I never thought I would see the day when the manufacturing of A Brave New World might be a reality. But are we really that far off? So these are just some of the many thoughts running through my head as I read this book. I had no idea this suspense novel would stimulate so much of my intellect. 
One other thought that stands out is in regards to another of character Malcolm’s rants about chaos theory. Apparently that is a real field of study and it’s in regards to the complex systems of life. It speaks to the fact that it’s hard to predict some things because there are too many variables that can change everything. Weather is a great example because even seemingly the same situations can create two different weather patterns. But he also mentions that even within the chaos there is an underlying order and that simple things can produce complex behavior. As a Christian this all makes perfect sense to me. Though it doesn’t surprise me, it always amazes me more and more when science supports the evidence for a Creator. 
Even though I went into this book expecting a suspense thrill ride full of dinosaur chases and maimed people I was pleasantly surprised that it was so much more. I really enjoyed this read and am curious now to read The Lost World and see if the second book will engage the little gray cells as much as this one did. 
One last thought, raptors are some devilish dinos. (at least according to this book)

No comments:

Post a Comment