Tuesday, August 9, 2011

No Longer a Slumdog

No Longer a Slumdog
by K.P. Yohannan

I remember watching Slumdog Millionaire on a plane ride with John. It was intense and I cried a lot. I will never forget the scene where one of the kidnapped boys is blinded so he can make more money as a beggar. It was a horrifying scene and one that I hoped was purely fictional. I was wrong.

While the scene shown in the movie is somewhat drastic and most likely the minority stuff like that does happen in India. Children are kidnapped or sold and forced to beg. Sometimes they are maimed to bring in more income as they illicit more sympathy. I learned about these practices, why they are called slumdogs and much more by reading this book.

K.P. Yohannan is the founder and director of Gospel for Asia. A branch of this mission organization is called Bridge of hope. While his writing showcases the awful conditions many are living in and will probably make you cry, as it did me, it is also a book of hope. There are many stories of how God has used the Bridge of Hope ministry to give these children and their families hope. It’s amazing what God does!

About halfway through the book I came home from work and told John that I wanted to adopt all these little ones. That is certainly not a possibility right now but I was happy to find out later in the book that I could “adopt” a child by sponsoring them. So John and I are going to sponsor a child. We haven’t picked one out yet, but I will let you know when we do. Would you join us in “adopting” one of these precious ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment